34 Cross Street

34 Cross Street

About the Building | Recent History | Previous Occupiers | Other Information

Address: 34 Cross Street
Present Occupier: Flames Kebab House
Present Owner:
Ground Floor: Takeaway food
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier: n/k.(scaffolding on building 2019, so open sometime after work was completed)

 

About the Building

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society survey 1980: 

Lane led to a Court of houses at the rear.

 

 

Recent History

From ? date not known but after 2019: Flames Kebab House

From date not known to approx 2018: Marmaris Kebabs.  Owner convicted of hygiene infringements after an outbreak of food poisoning.

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980:

From 1977 : occupied by Mrs Ann Jones – Copper Kettle Cafe

From 1975 – 1977 : Cafe (?run by Mr Emery’s sister)

From 1968 – 1975 : Emery, Butchers

Early 1960s : Miss Francis vacated and the property was used as stores by the Swan Hotel next door

c. 1947 : occupied by O C James, house and shop

 

Previous Occupiers

Year Name Detail Source
From c.1947 see “Recent History” section
1937 Miss C Francis Wardrobe Dealer Kelly
1934 Miss C Francis Wardrobe Dealer Kelly
1923 E T Griffiths Boot Repairer Kelly
1920 F B Foerster Sports & fishing tackle manufacturer Kelly
1914 F B Foerster Sports & fishing tackle manufacturer Kelly
1910 F Lewis Confectioner Kelly
1906 Mrs M Prattico Confectioner Kelly
1901 E Reed Baker Kelly
1877 James Scott Confectioner Owen
1875 James Scott Confectioner Mer & Croc
1871 James Scott Confectioner & ginger beer maker Kelly
1865 James Scott Confectioner Webster
1862 James Scott Confectioner Morris & Co
1858 James Scott Confectioner & ginger beer maker Slater
1850 James Scott Confectioner & ginger beer maker (employed 2 men & 1 woman) Census
1844 James Scott Confectioner & ginger beer maker Family records
1835 James Scott Confectioner & ginger beer maker Family records

 

 

Other Information

More information on F B Foerster

 

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980:

James Scott set up shop in Abergavenny in 1834, coming from Scotland (or London).  (Although the 1851 census shows James Scott to be aged 17 at time of that census – thus making 1834 his d.o.b.   ???)

The Scott family continued as confectioners in Abergavenny until 1979 (see no.17 Frogmore Street)

Source : adverts Abergavenny Chronicle

1969 and 1972 : ad for John Emery, family butcher

1981 : ad for “Ye Olde Copper Kettle”  Lunches & teas

1991 : ad for “Natural Beauty Shop” Cosmetics, toiletries, aromatherapy (? is this correct no.)

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhsresearch@email.com

 

Share on social media