6 Cross Street

6 Cross Street

About the Building | Recent History | Previous Occupiers | Other Information

Address: 6 Cross Street
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor: Greyhound Rescue Charity Shop
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier: October 2021

 

About the Building

Entry to shop was up some steps This shop was burned down in 1937.  See plan on sheet of no.5

From Deeds in the Gabb Collection D.591.2.107 etc

The property in 1836 was “formerly called the Red Lion”.  By 1836 it was divided into three separate premises, as shown in the plan, with a central passage for access to 6a between 6a.m and 11p.m (plan D.591.2.97).   At this date, it was morgaged to Rachel Herbert and bought by Joseph Meredith, who occupied no.5

Alfred Jackson says that there was a very fine carved oak staircase leading both down and up from the ground floor (source : Local History Survey 1980)

The property, with no. 5 was known as the Lion Inn before 1836.

6a would be the rear part of the premises, see plan of nos.5 and 6 (from Deeds in Gabb Collection) below.

 

Recent History

19 October 2021 : Greyhound rescue charity shop

August 2019 : closed approx 2020 : “Rosie by Rosemary’s” : a second shop to Rosemary’s at 12 Cross Street

July 2019 : Adela (here from 2014 and also originally at this property and 7 Cross St) has closed altogether

Second “half” of the shop (Adela@7) closing in April 2018 to be combined with this property at no.6

To 2014 : Barnardos Charity Shop

1978 – ?   Victoria Wine Co : Licensed Wine Merchants (source : Local History Survey 1980)

from ? to 1978 : Isobel Maynard : Ladies Fashions (source : Local History Survey 1980).   Advert in Abergavenny Chornicle in 1964 and further adverts over the years until it closed in 1978

Advert in Abergavenny Chronicle in 1952 : Bernard Ascott & Romley Marney, photographers.  Also in Frogmore Street, Market Street and Park Crescent.  Still advertising in 1956 as “Bernard Arskott” photographer.

1937 : Wilson & Sons burned down, rebuilt as Ladies Draper (source : Local History Survey 1980)

A copy of an advert/letterhead from c.1895 shows no.6A occupied by J L Lapworth (Late F Wright) : Wholesale & Retail Tobacco & Cigar Merchant (copy shown on Local History Survey 1980)

 

Previous Occupiers

Year Name Detail Source
1934 Wilson & Sons Ironmonger Kelly
1930 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Car/Npt & Dis
1926 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1923 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1920 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1914 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1910 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1906 Allcott & Wilson Ironmonger Kelly
1901 Stead & Simpsons Ltd Boot & Shoe makers Kelly
1891 (6A) John Lee Lapworth
(6) Sophia & Isobel Lewis
(6A)Tobacconist
(6) Milliners
Kelly
1884 6A) T L Lapworth Tobacconist Kelly
1879 Richard Morris Linen Draper Thacker
1877 Richard Morris Linen Draper Owen
1875 Richard Morris Draper, Milliner, Furnishing, Undertaker & Carpet warehouse Mer & Croc
1871 Davis & Morris Linen Draper Kelly
1865 Wm Richard Watts Chaplin Horne – General Carriers, LNWR Webster
1862 Miss Emma Brigh Milliner Morris & Co
1851 Edward S Davies Stationer Census
1836 (6A)Ann Wiliams
(6) Elizabeth Jones
Grocer & Tea Merchants Pigot

 

 

Other Information

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhsresearch@email.com

 

Share on social media