14 and 14A Frogmore Street

14 and 14A Frogmore Street

About the Building | Recent History | Previous Occupiers | Other Information

Address: 14 and 14A Frogmore Street
Present Occupier: 14: Get Connected : mobile phones: from November 2018
14A: Gus Jones Jewellers
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

 

About the Building

This was the site of the White Horse Inn. It was demolished in 1965. It was always prone to flooding from the Cibi Brook. The Inn had a famous aluminium sign. The White horse usually referred to the galloping white horse on the badge of the house of Hanover and was popular after George I came to the throne in 1714.

There was a bowling alley behind the pub which stretched down to the present public toilets which were then part of the pub. The stream runs along the bottom of the premises. (Mr Hughes)

The cellar has been filled in.

 

 

Recent History

No.14 : Get Connected : mobile phone shop (?moved from elsewhere in town)

No.14 : Robin Elt shoes : from ?? to January 2018 (shop closing due to expiry of lease although branches remain in other towns)

2006, 2005, 2000, 1993, 1989, 1988: Ian Poultney, Menswear

from around 1982: Mays Fashions took up the whole of the shop at no 18 and Clarice (Milliner) moved to no 14.

1980, 1978: Mays ladies fashions also at no 18.

1975: 14A, Gus Jones Jewellers

1973: 14A Gus Jones, clocks, jewellers (opened in March), 14B: May’s Fashions, ladies separates.

1971: 14A, Fleur Boutique, ladies clothing

1968, 1970: 14A, Fleur Boutique, ladies clothes, branch also in Tredegar

1967: 14A, Fleur Boutique, fashion shop, new teenage department February.

from 1965: 14A: Crown Wallpaper shop, 14B: Fleur Ladies Costumes

 

 

Previous Occupiers

Year Name Detail Source
1970 see recent history
1937-65 Prop: Ben Evans White Horse Public House Kelly
1934 White Horse Public House Kelly
1930 White Horse Public House Car/Npt & Dis
1926 Prop: William Mort White Horse Public House Kelly
1923 Prop: S E S Baker White Horse Public House Kelly
1920 White Horse Public House Kelly
1914 White Horse Public House Kelly
1910 White Horse Public House Kelly
1909 White Horse Public House Kelly
1906 Prop: Jenkin Williams White Horse Public House Kelly
1901 Prop: Stephen Edward Salisbury Baker White Horse Public House Kelly
1895 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Kelly
1891 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Kelly
1884 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Kelly
1879 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Thacker
1877 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Owen
1875 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Mer & Croc
1871 Prop: John Harrhy White Horse Public House Kelly
1865 Prop: David William Watkins White Horse Public House Webster
1862 Prop: David William Watkins White Horse Public House Morris & Co
1858 Prop: David William Watkins White Horse Public House Slater
1852 Prop:Sarah Watkins White Horse Public House Pigot
1844 Prop:William Watkins White Horse Public House Slater
1841 Prop:William Watkins White Horse Public House Slater
1835 Prop:William Watkins White Horse Public House Pigot
1822 Prop:William Watkins White Horse Public House Pigot
1789 Prop:Widow Powell White Horse Public House Pigot

 

 

 

Other Information

In 1825 the White Horse Inn was the starting point for a walking feat to the Robin Hood Inn at Monmouth, back to the White Horse and on to the Lamb & Flag, then back to Abergavenny. Around 66 miles to be done for 6 days!

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhsresearch@email.com

 

Share on social media