26 Monk Street
About the Building | Recent History | Previous Occupiers | Other Information
| Address: | 26 Monk Street |
| Present Occupier: | Monmouthshire Multi-agency centre |
| Present Owner: | |
| Ground Floor: | offices |
| Other Floors: | offices |
| Date when first used by present occupier: | Between 5/2011 – 10/2015 |
About the Building
There is some confusion over identifying nos 26, 26A and the Water board Building, formerly the Rural District Council Offices and the vacant site of the veterinary surgery/ The cottage in the latter was known as Hope cottage (Directory 1906) occupied by William Holland (postman).
The present building was built during the Great War 1914-1918.
The original street survey stated that in 1834 Hope House was on this site and demolished. However, an advertisement for Hope House, the school, indicates that it was actually on the site of No 22. [Source: Hope House School Advertisement, 1826, held in Abergavenny Museum].
Recent History
From between May 2011 – Oct 2015 onwards: Monmouthshire Multi-agency centre
2008 Nov – between May 2011 – Oct 2015: Citizens Advice Bureau [Source: Google Maps Street View]
1974 – 1980 at least: occupied by the Welsh Water Authority.
Previous Occupiers
| Year | Name | Detail | Source |
| 1918-74 | Monmouth Rural District Council Offices | Kelly | |
| 1910 | 26A John Gethin James, D P Morgan & Co | Land Agent & Surveyor also listed as draper shop | Kelly |
| 1906 | 26A John Gethin Jones | Land Agent & Surveyor | Kelly |
| 1901 | Charles Nesbitt & John Nesbitt | Solicitors | Kelly |
| 1895 |
John Nesbitt & William Gulliford |
Solicitors | Kelly |
| 1891 |
John Nesbitt & William Gulliford |
Solicitors Milliner |
Kelly |
| 1884 | John Nesbitt Suzanna Doidge |
Solicitors Milliner |
Kelly |
Other Information
No 26 was owned by Mr Brown in 1834.
If you have any further information about this property please email alhsresearch@email.com




