_Training Page 1 Frg St

Training 1 Frogmore Street NOTE: This is a training page

About the Building | Recent History | Previous Occupiers | Other Information

Address: 1 Frogmore Street
Present Occupier: Blue Cross – Animal Wefare Charity
Present Owner:
Ground Floor: Charity Shop – Animal Welfare items
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

 

About the Building

Edwardian. “An insertion into a dignified Georgian Street” (L Hurley)

Note terracotta roundels

The change in the street name implies that North Gate stood her at nos 1-3 Frogmore Street and a blue plaque on the wall of the bank commemorates this fact.

 

 

Recent History

Greggs the Bakers moved to 22 High Street in 200?

 

Previous Occupiers

Year Name Detail Source
1987 -20?? Greggs the Bakers Bread and Pastry Products MCC Planning Applications
1964 – 79 Merrets Shop & Coffee House Previous Street Survey
1956 – 62 Edwards Home Furnishing Previous Street Survey
1948 Morton’s “Boot Trade” Shoe Shop Previous Street Survey
1947 G W Morton House & shop Rate book
1937 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1934 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1930 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Car/Npt & Dis
1926 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1923 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1920 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1914 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1910 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1906 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1901 G & W Morton Ltd Bootmakers Kelly
1884 Beveridge & Co  (moved to 28 & 29 Frogmore Street) Drapers Kelly
1879

Isaac & Harris  (also at 10 and/or 11 Frogmore Street

Undertaker & furniture Thacker
1877 Isaac & Harris Undertaker Owen
1875 Isaac & Harris Undertakers, cabinet makers dealers & uphosterers Mer & Croc
1851 Henry Harris Pawnbroker Pigot

 

Other Information

1891 The proprietor and Manager of Morton’s Boot Shop was Mr Charles Bagnell Roe.[Source: 1891 Census] During the same period, his wife Mrs Rose Annie Roe operated “Mrs Roe’s Select Registry” from this address and advertised in the local press for domestic servants, cooks and parlour maids. [Source:Brecon County Times 1892/3].

1921 The house was occupied by Mr Albert Randles and his wife Winnie Randles. He was also manager of the Boot Shop.[1921 Census]

1923 On 6th May of that year, the shop and dwelling was offered for sale by auction at the Greyhound Hotel, Abergavenny. The Agent was James Straker & Son/Chadwicks. The property was described as having a frontage on to Frogmore Street of 15ft. with a shop with a depth of 38ft and a rear showroom with a depth of 14ft.6in. The tenants at that time were Messrs. Morton who were paying annual rental of £60. The property was not sold and withdrawn from the auction at £950. [Western Mail Report 07/05/1913]

1964 – 1979: Merrets, shop and coffee house. Other floors storerooms and toilets.

1942: Advertisement, Morton’s Boot trade for young lady assistants.

 

Receipts from 1869 are in Abergavenny Museum 80 A/4688 – 0 – 8C

If you have any further information about this property please email alhsresearch@email.com

 

Share on social media