13 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

13 Cross Street
Alison Tod

Couture Milliner
??
2013 ?

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

 2015


 

About the building

From Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980 :

Building early 18th century.  Two storeys, two windows stucco.  First and second floor framed by corner pilasters supporting an elegant pediment.  Windows set in moulded architraves with glazing bars intact.  Pediment has details and in tympanum is a lunette window with Gothic tracery.  Shop front : this is undoubtedly one of the most distinguished bulidings in Cross Street.   (information from Welsh Office)

The shop, at least since it belonged to Sidney George, had a long passage entrance with plate glass windows either side, as Fussells is now (in 1983)

 

Recent history

Occupied by Sidney George Ltd from the 1930s.   At time of Local History Survey 1980, the part of Sidney George situated at No. 13 Cross Street was selling ladies underwar on the ground floor, ladies clothes and haberdashery on other floors.

From Local History Survey 1980 : quote by Mr Salter : Sir Sydney George would not allow his errand boys to have a bicycle.  They had to walk, even when carrying his suitcase to the station.

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

Sidney George Ltd

(also at nos.12&14) Ladies clothes /haberdashers (from early 1930s)

Kelly

1937

Sidney George Ltd

Drapers (& no.14)

Kelly

1934

Sidney George Ltd

Drapers (& no.14)

Kelly

1930

Sidney George Ltd

Drapers (& no.14)

Car/Npt & Dis

1928

Sidney George Ltd

Drapers (& no.14)

Kelly

1927

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1923

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1920

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1914

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1910

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1906

W H Smith

Stationers

Kelly

1901

Fricker, Charles James (Manager Evans Harrison)

Stationer & Bookseller

Kelly

1893

Evans Harrison

Stationer & Bookseller & Athenaeum Library

Kelly

1891

Seargents Bros

Printer, booksellers & newsagents

Kelly

1884

Seargents Bros

Printer, booksellers & newsagents

Kelly

1879

Seargents Bros

Printer, booksellers & newsagents

Thacker

1877

Henry Seargent

Printer, bookseller & stamp office

Owen

1875

Seargents

Stamp office

Mer & Croc

1871

Seargents

Stamp office

Kelly

1866

J S Meredith

Bookseller, printer, music & patent medicines

Webster

1862

J S Meredith

Bookseller, printer, music & patent medicines

Morris & Co

1858-9

Charles Denton

Agent to the Black Ball line of Australian Packet, Stamp office

Slater

1851

Richard Rees (1842-1852)

Master printer, bookbinder, stamp office

Slater

1844

Richard Rees

Master printer, bookbinder, stamp office

Pigot

1835

Watkins & Son

Bookseller etc and Post Office

Pigot

1829

John Cheese Watkins

Printer, bookseller and Post Office

Heath’s Guide to Raglan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 


 

Other information

All following information from Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980

In 1866, the property was also occupied by Rees & Son, Stamp office

From 1874-1879 : Henry Seargeant : Printer until 1901 and Stamp Office (Receipt A/4641-0 a-r)

From 1890 : Seargeants moved to works in Queen Street

A photograph of the property at the time of occupancy by J S Meredith (in 1860s) is shown in the 1902-3 Guide to Abergavenny.  (Receipt A/157-1979)

A print showing Seargeants is in the Whites Guide to Abergavenny c.1870

Sale contract of building Seargeant Bros to W Harrison 1891 A/19-1987

For more details of the shop in 1893, see cutting the Museum copy of Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980.   Mr Harrison in “Ports of the Bristol Channel! 1893, states that the business was founded two centuries earlier, i.e. circa 1700

Census records show that Richard Rees (1842-1852) employed 11 men and 11 boys

In 1835, when John Cheese Watkins was Postmaster, postal times were :

Letters from London : arrive 2.10pm, despatched 11.30am.   Letters from Milford & Caernarvon : arrive 11.30am, despatched 11.35am.     Letters from Newport, Bristol & West : arrive 5.30pm, despatched 8.00am.    Letters from Merthyr Tydfil : arrive 11am, despatched 2.40pm

From Abergavenny Chronicle adverts

Sidney George Ltd (at various times occupying nos.12, 13 and 14 Cross Street) advertised their sales etc, most weeks from the mid 1950s onwards.  In 1960, they were looking for “lady required for making loose covers, experience essential”.   In 1969, advert for “lady sales assistants in lingerie and corsetry department.

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk