14 High Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

14 High Street
Coffee No.1

coffee shop

upstairs seating

opened 5 February 2005

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2016


 

About the building

Source : Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980:

“A prickly Edwardian insertion into a dignified Georgian Street”  (quote by Louis Hurley)

There is a stained glass window in the back of the shop with the words “Good Shoes” inscribed in it in stained glass, with a flourish. A very nice piece of glass of its type

(?is this still there in the C21)

 

 

 

Recent history

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980:

Immediately prior to Coffee No.1, this was an outdoor/climbing supplies shop  (Crickhowell Adventure, still based in Crickhowell;  Abergavenny branch closed ??)

From 1982 to ?? date : Gwent Travel – “Your new Abergavenny Travel Centre”

From 1971/2 to 1982 : Paynes – dairy products, cooked meats

From 1962 to ?1971 : Shoefayre – one of the first national shoe stores

From 1954: Dunns shoe shop

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

See “Recent History”

 

 

1937

Dunn’s Footwear Ltd

Boot & shoe makers and dealers (to 1937)

Kelly

1934

” ”

Kelly

1930

” ”

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

” ”

Kelly

1921

Publican : William John Eustense

The Guildhall Vaults

Closed 1921

Kelly

1920

Publican : Charles Davies

The Guildhall Vaults

Kelly

1914

Publican : William John Eustence 1914

Owner Henry Jeffreys 1914

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1910

Prop William Scott

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1909

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1906

Prop : Thomas George Jones

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1901

Publican : Henry Lewis

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1895

Prop : Philip Price

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1891

Prop : Philip Price

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

1884

Publican William James Gimlett 1880-1882

Philip Price 1884-1895

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly/Abergavenny Inn
Frank Olding

1879

Publican J C Harrhy 1879

The Guildhall Inn

Thacker/ Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1877

Publican John Stepney 1876

The Guildhall Inn

Owen/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1875

Publican : James W Tranter 1872-1875

Owner John Lewis 1873-1882

The Guildhall Inn

Mer & Croc/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1871

 

The Guildhall Inn

Kelly

> 1868

Owner Mrs Jones 1868-1872

Publican : John Harrhy & Mrs Harrhy

The Guildhall Inn

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1865

Guildhall Wine & Spirits Vaults , Land Agent & Surveyor

Prop : John Gethin Jones

Webster

1862

Publican : John Gethin James 1860-1865

The Guildhall Inn

Morris & Co/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1858

The Guildhall Inn

Slater

1852

Publican : Elisha Watkins (1851/1852)

Owner : William Jones 1851-1860

Brewer & Maltster : The Guildhall Inn

Census/ Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1835

Rees Prosser

Tailor

Pigot

1822

Rees Prosser

Hats & Clothier

Pigot

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

Source : Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding  The Guildhall Inn (formerly the Three Salmons – only listed as this name in 1852 trade directory. Elisha Watkins is recorded a sa brewer and maltster who had also been running the brewery in Lion Street, formerly occupied by William Ellis since at least 1850.   An Elisha Watkins is recorded as a brewer as early as 1818 when his wife, Sarah, died.  It is not know whether this is the same man or where his premises were at that time.

By 1860 the pub was called simply the Guildhall.  By 1865, known as the Guildhall Wine and Spirits Vault.  By 1868, known as the Guildhall Hotel.  By 1920s it was again known as the Guildhall Vaults.  Closed in 1921

 

Source : Website  – Coffee #1 started in Wood Street in Cardiff in 2001.  Now 50 branches around Wales, South West and South Coast

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk