15 High Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

15 High Street
Bidmead Cook

Estate Agents

2013 approx

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2016


 

About the building

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980 :

“A prickly Edwardian insertion in to a dignified Georgian Street” (L Hurley)

There used to be an alley way running behind the property.  It had a seed shop in it, run by a blind  man, up until 1960.

Note the terracotta roundels

The change of street name occurs between this and the adjacent shop, even though they are the same building, because High Street was inside the medieval town wall and Frogmore outside

 

 

 

Recent history

From approx 2013 to date : Bidmead Cook Estate Agents

From February 2006 to approx 2013 : Bairstow Eves Estate Agents

From 1979 to 2006 : Digby Turner & Co Estate Agents

From 1958 – 1979 : W Philips, Shoe Shop

From 1906 – 1958 : Home & Colonial Food Stores, Grocers

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1950s onwards

See “Recent History”

 

 

1937

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1934

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1930

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1923

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1920

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1914

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1910

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1909

 

 

 

1906

Home & Colonial Food Stores

Grocers

Kelly

1901

Zachariah Wheatley

Jeweller

Kelly

1895

Zachariah Wheatley

Jeweller

Kelly

1891

Zachariah Wheatley

Jeweller

Kelly

1884

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher  (moved to 4 Frogmore Street in 1884)

Kelly

1879

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher (business founded in 1823 – source 1879 Thacker)

Thacker

1877

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Owen

1875

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Mer & Croc

1871

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Kelly

1865

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Webster

1862

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Morris & Co

1858

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Slater

1850

Mrs Ann Davies (?also Abraham Edwards, Grocer)

Butcher

Pigot

1844

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Slater

1835

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Pigot

1822

Mrs Ann Davies

Butcher

Pigot

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

There is a quote on the pages of the original survey that “the deeds (of this property) are with the Stamp Office, as some of the land is registered.   It is known that, prior to the Home & Colonial, the property belonged to a doctor in Bristol”

Adverts in Abergavenny Chronicle :

1956 : ad for Home & Colonial Stores, Grocer

1962 : ad for W R Phillips, Shoe Retailer requiring  “Lady Assistant” (December 1962); ads also in 1967, 1968 (“fitter of quality footwear”); 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972

1978 : ad for Digby Turner & Co, Estate Agents; ads also in 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2005

2006 : ad for Bairstow Eves (Estate Agents) new offices February 2006

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk