16 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

16 Cross Street
Mandy Knight
??
Amanda Jayne Italian Shoes
??
2013

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

2015


 

About the building

From Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980:

Built between 1800 and 1834 (evidence of maps of these dates).  Copy sketch map of 1800 shown on original survey : property built on a garden fronting on to Castle Lane.  All the gardens fronting on to the lane were built on by the time of the Wood map of 1834.

From Gabb manuscripts : “1869 : mortgage of James Gilbert Price the younger and James Gilbert Price senior, and Elizabeth Edwards”    “All that parcel of ground formerly gardens, half acre in Cross Street Ward Abergavenny abutted by Cross Street by a dwelling house lately of James Price [this is no.18], now of John Edward Price,  messuage formerly called The Old Playhouse formerly the property of John James of Abergavenny Carpenter and a street leading from Cross Street to Castle Street on all sides.”

“On this parcel of land John Cadogen erected five houses occupied by Allen Long, Thomas Evans & Co, Margaret Wilcox, James Loveland and Thomas Evans & Co.   Then occupied by Henry Thomas and Thomas Evans and his undertenants and now by Mary Evans and her under-tenants.”

(These were 16 and 17 Cross Street and 3 small cottages in Castle Lane.   The Old Playhouse must have been in the property demolished below these new cottages)

 

 

Recent history

1983 : Pinches Bakery moved here during 1983 and started baking on the premises after Christmas 1983.  (closed in ???)

After that – various owners including a business providing children with the opportunity to paint on pottery plates

From 1947 – ?? : owner/occupier : South Herefordshire Agricultural Co-operative Society (SHACS) selling animal foodstuffs on the ground floor

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

?South Herefordshire Agricultural Co-operative Society (SHACS)

Animal foodstuffs

 

1937

David Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1934

David Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1930

David Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Car/Npt & Dis

1928

David Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1923

David Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1920

Thomas Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1914

Thomas Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1910

Thomas Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1906

Thomas Rees

Corn & flour dealer

Kelly

1901

Frank Saunders

Nurseryman, seedsman & florist

Kelly

1895

Frank Saunders

Nurseryman, seedsman & florist

Kelly

1891

Frank Saunders

Nurseryman, seedsman & florist

Kelly

1884

Frank Saunders

Nurseryman, seedsman & florist

Kelly

1879

Mary Evans

Boot & shoe seller

Thacker

1877

Mary  Evans

Boot & shoe seller

Owen

1875

Mary Evans

Boot & shoe seller

Mer & Croc

1871

Mary Evans

Boot & shoe seller

Kelly

1865

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Webster

1862

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Morris & Co

1858

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Slater

1850

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Pigot

1844

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Slater

1842

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer also carrier

Pigot

1822

Thomas Evans

Boot & shoe manufacturer

Pigot

 

 

 

 

 



 


 

Other information

For more information about Pinch the Bakers click  * here *.

 

From Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980 :

1851 : The firm of Evans & Long occupying 16 and 17 Cross Street, employed 130 men (information from Census).  They made boots and shoes

 

From  Abergavenny Chronicle Adverts :

1942 : advert for “Rees” selling farm animal foods

1948 : advert for South  Herefordshire Agricultural Co-operative Society Ltd (SHACS) selling agricultural feed, fertilisers etc

1957 : advert for SHACS giving a rota of delivery areas during petrol rationing

1959 : April : advert for “competent shop man”

1960 : advert for lorry driver, with accommodation available

1962 : January : a pet shop licence had been granted

1974 : advertising garden supplies

1988 : advert for A G Pinch, Bakers (1989 advert :  also had a shop in Frogmore Street)

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk