23 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

23 Cross Street
James Joseph
?
Music Shop
Storage
1990  Closed July 2017

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2015


 

About the building

Information from original Abergavenny Local History Society survey 1980:

Building c.1895-1900

The old mill Street gate crossed the road here, from the Sun Inn (now Coach & Horses)

With nos. 22 and 23a Cross Street:  On the 1881 map these houses are shown continuing the line of 20 and 21, thus making the road very narrow ta the site of the gate.  The house next door, no. 24, was then considerably set back

 

 

Recent history

 

Abergavenny Music – from 1990;  closed end July 2017

To 1990 : Cook’s Galley  (kitchen utensils, etc).  Moved firstly to the other side of Cross Street (?No. ….) and latterly based in Nevill Street

From 1980 : Spares & Repairs (Mr & Mrs Colin Gardiner).  Moved to 25 Cross Street where it still remains, known as A.F.Thomas

To 1980: Occupier : Mrs J Jacobs

From 1970 : Children’s boutique

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

approx 1968-1979

Elaine  Davies

Children’s Boutique

 

1937-1968

G Randell-Jones

House, shop, sub Post Office and newsagent

Kelly

1934

Maynords

Sports outfitter

Kelly

1929/30

Geoff Dunton

Fishing Tackle

Car/Npt & Dis

1926/28

A H York

Fishing Tackle

Kelly

1923

A H York

Fishing Tackle

Kelly

1920

William Henry Peake

Fishing Tackle Manufacturers

Kelly

1914

R F Evans

Ladies & Gents Tailor

Kelly

1910

Probert & Evans

Ladies & Gents Tailor

Kelly

1906

Mary F Harris

Wool Seller, Berlin Wool Repository

Kelly

1891

Singer Manufacturing Co

Agent : T E Guard

Kelly

1879

Alan Munderford

Solicitor

Thacker

1871

Rev Sidney  Roger Young (Baptist Minister)

Agent for Lancashire Fire & Life Insurance

Kelly

1865

Rev Sidney Roger Young (Baptist Minister)

Agent for Lancashire Fire & Life Insurance

Webster

1862

John Maxwell McFarlane

Commercial Traveller

Morris & Co.

1858

John Maxwell McFarlane

Commercial Traveller/Agent

Slater

1851

Charles Yarnold

Painter & glazier, employing 2 men

Census

1844

Charles Yarnold

Painter & Glazier

Slater

1835

Charles Yarnold

Painter & Glazier

Pigot

1795

John Yarnold

Glazier

Improvement Commission reports

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

Source : Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980:

The old Mill Street gate came across the road here from the Sun Inn (now the Coach & Horses).  By 1795, it had been partly removed as it caused obstruction to traffic.   John Yarnold, who lived in a house on this site, was reprimanded by the Improvement Commission for leaving rubbish, consisting of the remains of the old gate and part of his house, on the roadway (Minute of the Improvement Commission)

On the 1834 map, a deep court of workshops or Cottages is shown on the site belonging to Mr Yarnold.

Note pillar box still outside from the time when the property was sub Post Office (1937-1968)

Adverts from Abergavenny Chronicle In 1938, this property is shown as advertising “Fussells Sports, toys & games” (?is this an error on the part of the newspaper/advertiser/or transcriber of information from the original to the spreadsheet)

Advert in 1967 for “Babyfare” (?is this an event or the name of the shop) selling pushchairs, playpens etc

Advert 1968 and onwards for “Elaine’s” Children’s Boutique

Advert 1981 and onwards : “Spares & Repairs” DIY, electrical goods, repairs, servicing

Advert 1993 and 2005 : Abergavenny Music

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk