27-28 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

27-28 Cross Street
Premier
??
Convenience Store
??
??

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2016


 

About the building

c.1877

Formerly the “Black Horse Inn”

 

Recent history

source : Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980:

From 1970: Eric Jenkins : Motorcycle distributor and workshop;  office and spare parts storage on other floors

from (not known) to 1970 : F R Ball and Liverpool & Victoria Insurance (source : Mr Horsington)

1947-1967 (1st floor) : F R Bowing : Insurance Company

From (not known) to 1947 : G Watkins : House and shop

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

From 1970

Eric Davies

Motorcycle distributors/workshop

 

From 1947 to 1970 :

see “Recent History”

 

 

1937

 

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1934

 

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1930

 

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

 

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1923

 

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1920

Manager : Thomas Hooper

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1910

Manager : William James Jones

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1906

Manager : William H Irons

Singer Sewing Machine Co Ltd

Kelly

1901

 

 

Kelly

1895

 

 

Kelly

1891

John Evans

Tailor

Kelly

1884

 

 

Kelly

1879

Robert Davies

Antiques

Thacker

1842-1850

Daniel “Tanner”

 

(handwritten addition on  Aber.Local History Survey 1980)

1850

Ann Trew or Miss Roberts ?

Butcher

(handwritten addition on Aber. Local History Survey 1980)

1835-1842

John Williams

“auctioneer”

(handwritten addition on Aber. Local History Survey 1980)

1822-1823

William Daniel ? or Thomas Watkins

 

(handwritten addition on Aber. Local History Survey 1980)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

The Black Horse, nos 27-28 Cross Street

source :  A/4003-0  Indenture dated 6 July 1878   between the Abergavenny Improvement Commissioners and James Watkins of Abergavenny, Builder, for £400, sold him :

“a dwelling house shop passage stable yard and premises situate in Cross Street in the Town of Abergavenny late in the occupation of Emanuel Snook and now vacant and distinguished by the number 27, 27a and 28 …../ in a plan drawn of a certain indenture dated the ….. and the Commissioners …. described and conveyed as “All that messuage tenement thereto adjoining …. in a certain street or Ward called Mill Street Ward …. formerly in the occupation of William Daniel, Butcher and then of Thomas Watkins Glazier And also that other messuage … being in Mill Street Ward …. adjoining the last mentioned messuage formerly in the occupation of Mrs Ann Trew and then of Miss Roberts which said two messuages were formerly one messuage called the Black Horse Public House in the occupation of Ann Alcheson widow and John Williams and were bounded by a messuage formerly of Valentine Williams Blacksmith”

Except for an area reserved by Commissioners for widening the street a clause allowing James Watkins “…. and his workmen to enter and be on the same for the purpose of pulling down ….. the said materials”

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk