3 High Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

3 High Street

Johnsons the Cleaners

shop

storage

 

 

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

 2015


 

About the building

The previous building on this site was of local stone, built in the late 16th century and had a cruck roof. It was demolished in 1961 and an Elizabethan lattice window is now in the museum, also some 19th century wallpaper.

Printer’s proofs from 1810 – 53 were found hanging from the rafters in a walled-up attic including street ballads and execution broadsheets and a Moore’s almanack for 1836.

There were four cottages at the rear. Photographs of the old building can be found in the museum.

 

 

 

Recent history

From 1986 – Bollom Dry Cleaners

From 1973 – Welsh Dry Cleaners

From 1961 – Principality Dry Cleaners. Advertisement for girl assistant in 1969.

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1937

Maypole Dairy Co.

Provision Dealers

Kelly

1934

Maypole Dairy Co.

as above

Kelly

1930

(old building demolished?)

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

Kelly

1923

Miss Gladys M Harrhy

Stationer

Kelly

1920

Miss Gladys M Harrhy

as above

Kelly

1914

Harriet Carey (until 1921)

Fancy Stationer

Kelly

1910

Harriet Carey

as above

Kelly

1906

Mrs A J Carey

Stationer and Bookseller

Kelly

1901

Frederick Rolfe Crockford

Stationer and Fancy Rep.

Kelly

1895

 

 

Kelly

1891

Thomas & Edmunds (Minerva Printers and Booksellers)

Stationers, printers and newsagent

Kelly

1884

 

 

Kelly

1879

 

Thacker

1877

Henry Thomas & John Edmonds

Printers and Stationers

Owen

1875

Henry Thomas & John Edmonds

as above

Mer & Croc

1871

Minerva Printing Office

Printing office

Kelly

1865

James Hiley Morgan

Printer, bookseller, patent medicine vendor

Webster

1858

James Hiley Morgan

as above

Slater

1850

James Hiley Morgan

as above

(employing 4 men)

Pigot

1844

James Hiley Morgan

as above

Slater

1836

James Hiley Morgan

as above

Pigot

1822



 


 

Other information

James Hiley Morgan moved from Brecon to Abergavenny in 1821.

Miss Gladys M Harrhy had moved to 20 Frogmore Street by 1926.

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk