30 Monk Street, Lulworth House

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

30 Monk Street, Lulworth House
Offices (see recent history)

Offices
Offices
20–

Before and After Images

 

 

1979/80                                                                2015


 

About the building

Shown on a watercolour of 1783 (A/4522-0) and the 1800 map.

 

Recent history

Currently, 2015, occupied by: ground floor right, Claire Johnson, Podiatrist. Other offices, RED Builders (Abergavenny), Taurus Taylor Associates, Management Consultants and Riga Developments Ltd, Estate Management.

1963 to at least 1980:  Occupier, Mr D Downey, owner, Mr J Hill, builder. Ground floor left residential, ground floor right, chiropodist, other floors offices.

Between 1958 to 1963, Miss Jackson chiropodist, then Miss Haines, chiropodist, then Mr Bowcher, chiropodist.

Around 1958, converted into flats & offices, including Peter Bishop, Solicitor & Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries.

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

Kelly

1937

Miss Doris Carr

Teacher of Music

Kelly

1934

”            ”

”            ”

Kelly

1930

”            ”

”            ”

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

William Robert Carr

Teacher of Music & organist at St Mary’s Church

Kelly

1923

”            ”

”            ”

Kelly

1920

”            ”

”            ”

Kelly

1914

”            ”

”            ”

Kelly

1910

”            ”

”            ”

Kelly

1909

Kelly

1906

Samuel Hugh Rattray Davies MRCS LRCP

Surgeon at Leven House

Kelly

1901

Kelly

1895

George T W Harrison MBCM

Surgeon, moved to Leven House

Kelly

1891

Henry Meredith (brother of the grocer at 5 Cross Street)

Kelly

1884

Kelly

1879

Thacker

1877

Owen

1875

Joseph Bishop (Charter Mayor)

District Manager LNWR Railway

Mer & Croc

1871

Kelly

> 1868

1865

1862

Morris & Co

1858

Slater

1850

Pigot

1845

Pigot

1844

Slater

1841

Slater

1835

Pigot

1834-45

Pigot

1834

Car/Npt & Dis

1822

Pigot

1792

Pigot



 


 

Other information

Joseph Bishop (1895) was in office when the Severn Tunnel was under construction. He was appointed manager of the London & North Western Railway in the Abergavenny District. On the opening of the Severn Tunnel in 1888, he was appointed to supervise the through working of the North Western Company’s traffic to and from the north and west of England.

He was elected to the Board of Improvements Commissioners in 1868 (becoming chairman in 1883) and to the Urban District Council in 1894 (becoming chairman the following year), but subsequently resigned due to pressure of work.

On the creation of Abergavenny into a Borough, he was unanimously requested to accept the position of the first mayor of the borough, under the restored charter, on the 9th November, 1899, but illness prevented him from continuing from April 1990, and he died in 1902 after 23 years of service to the town. (Obituary in Hereford Chronicle)

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk