4A High Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

4A High Street
Waterstones
??

Bookshop

(2006 as Waterstones : see “recent history”

Before and After Images

 

              4B                        4A

1979/80

2015


 

About the building

Source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980:

Fragments of timber frontage were found during alterations in 1959. Cellars and top storey windows filled in in 1959. Clay pipe found in the cellar. (Mr Dulson)

Possibly established in 1298??? (source : Mr Jackson)

The present Greyhound Hotel (in Market Street, built 1872) was the tap bar of the old Hotel. There are slight remains of hay dispensers and stables in the back yard.

The hotel had 18 bedrooms, 4 reception rooms, a bar and a ballroom. There was a long bar, about 25 yards long, running parallel to Market Street, and it was great meeting place for the rugby, tennis and bowling clubs.

 

 

Recent history

From 2006 to present     Waterstones book shop*

From ??  to 2006            Ottakers book shop*

From 1983 to ??    George Oliver Footwear Ltd moved here in 1983,  from 20 High Street

From 1959 to ??  4A High Street : George Masons/International/Pricerite – grocers – this was all the same firm (at that time, on the upper floors was storage for Cavendish furniture (at no.4B) and a private flat which was formed from a block of 5 bedrooms from the Hotel)

To 1959 : Greyhound Hotel

(*Waterstones opened its first branch in London in 1982. Ottakar’s was established in 1987 and expanded rapidly.  By 2006 it was present in 141 locations.   Following a rumoured takeover by HMV and also a possible management buyout by founders James Heneage and Philip Dunne, the company was finally bought by Waterstones who took over on 31 May 2006 source : en.wikipedia.org)

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

 ?
 See “Recent History”

 

 

1937

Owner 1938  Greyhound Co Ltd.

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs  Frank Olding

1934

Prop: Mrs M Cotton

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly

1930

Prop: C C Daft 1927-31)

Greyhound Hotel

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

Prop: Rees, Rogers & Co

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly

1923

Prop Rees, Rogers & Co 1923-26

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny  Pubs
Frank  Olding

1920

Prop: Mrs Ethel Maud Reynolds

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly

1914

Prop : Mrs Emily Tovell

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly

1910

Prop: Mrs Emily Tovell 1910-1914

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1906

Prop: Francis Albert McGraith

Owner : R P Culley

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1901

Prop: Francis Albert McGraith

Owner : R P Culley &  Co Ltd (1901-06)

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1895

Prop : 1891-95 Walter C Williams

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1891

 

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly

1884

Prop 1882, dec’d by 1884 : Emily Tucker

Greyhound Hotel

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1879

Prop: William Tucker

Owner 1880 :  William Tucker

Greyhound Hotel

Thacker/  Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1877

Prop: William Tucker

Greyhound Hotel

Owen

1875

Prop: William Tucker

Greyhound Hotel

Mer & Croc

1871

Prop 1871-1880 : William Tucker

Owner 1872 : William Tucker. 1873 : S W Tucker

Greyhound Hotel/Inland Revenue Office, William Herring

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1865

Prop: Philip Morgan

Prop : 1868 Mrs Tucker.  Owner 1868 : S W Tucker

Greyhound Hotel/ from 1862 Inland Revenue Office

Webster/ Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1858

Prop: Philip Morgan (from 1853-65)

Owner 1853-1864 : Robert Williams

Greyhound Hotel

Slater

1850

1851

Prop: 1849 William Morgan

Prop :1850-52 Timothy Buck

Owner in 1849 : Mrs Hickman; Owner 1850-51 Duke of Beaufort

Greyhound Hotel

Greyhound Hotel

Pigot

census/Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1844

Prop: John Richards

Owner in 1839 : Duke of Beaufort

Greyhound Hotel

Slater/ Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1835

Prop: John Richards

Prop 1830-1835:George Evans

Prop ?Hickman in 1839

Greyhound Hotel

Pigot/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1822

1811

Prop : Thomas Evans (1822-23)

Prop 1811 John Strange

Greyhound Hotel

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1794

Prop : Mrs Ann Wallington (owner 1791, prop 1791-1794)

Greyhound Hotel

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1787

Mr C Wallington

Greyhound Hotel

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

Source : Abergavenny Pubs  Frank Olding

The Tucker family seems to have acquired the Greyhound sometime between 1865 & 1868 and various member of the family were to run the business from then until at least 1882.  By July 1872 William Tucker had extended the hotel & added the new Tap & Billiard Room in March Street, now known as the  Greyhound Vaults.   Behind the Vaults, the hotel even had its own bowling green

Source : Local History Survey 1980

On census night, 1851, there were in residence: Timothy Black, his wife and 5 children, 2 visitors and 5 servants.

Source : Thacker (Abergavenny Local History  Society  Survey 1980)

1794 :  the Abergavenny Improvement Committee met here, to redevelop the decayed Town Hall and Market

1800 : Abergavenny Society for the prosecution of felons met here

1839 : The Greyhound was owned by the Duke of Beaufort

1851 : “Paul Pry” the Daily Coach to and from London, via Gloucester,  Ross & Monmouth, departed 1.30 pm

1854 : There was a horse bus service to connect with trains

1862-65 : also Inland Revenue office

1871 : William Herring, Inland Revenue Supervisor

1927 : The murderers Brown and Kennedy stayed here

Proprietor Philip Morgan, in 1862, also kept the Angel and a farm

Adverts in Abergavenny Chronicle :

1967 : ad for George Masons, wines & spirits

1969 : ad for George Masons, Christmas fare

1970 : ad for George Masons

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk