46 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

46 Cross Street
Vapefortysix Ltd   (Oct 2017 : now closed)
Alan Griffiths              (to let : Miles Young)

? approx May 2017

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2015


 

About the building

source : Abergavenny Local History Society Survey 1980:

Probably mid 17th century

Cellars were filled in when it was an electrical shop (source Peter Dominic Ltd)

Grade II Listed Building

1891 : had stabling for 40 horses and ample accommodation for visitors (source : Kelly Directory)

Slate roof (Source : Welsh Office)

In the 1947 Rate Book, the tenements 1,2 and 3 Priory Walk are listed with this property

 

 

 

Recent history

Oct 2017 : had been a shop selling “vaping” (e-cigarette) products, but now appears closed and empty

Approx Sept 2016, the window was being used as display for Five-ways.net ? art co-operative.

Work on ex Great George PH in 2015/16 led to closure of the co-owned properties at nos 46 and 47

From ?2012 – mid 2016 : (known as)  No. 46 – contemporary gifts, clothes. Closed, along with Fable next door when combined with scaffolding erected on the former Great George pub

1967: Fosters Wine Merchants (Abergavenny Chronicle)

From 1962 to ??  Peter Dominic Ltd, Wine Merchants.  (moved from no.7 Cross Street).   Other floors not used

From 1947-1962 Lewis  Electrical Co.

To 1947 : Wellington Inn (see “Previous Occupiers)

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

See “Recent History”

 

 

1937

Proprietor : William Frederick Higman (to 1939)

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1934

Proprietor : Mrs Emmeline Miller

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1927-8

Prop : John Evans Davies (to 1931)

Wellington Public House

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1926

Proprietor : John Evans Davies

Forsters Wine Merchant

Kelly

1923

Proprietor : George Maggs

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1920

Proprietor : Charles Pugh

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1914

Manager : Clement Morgan Barber

Owner : George Powell from 1914-1938

Wellington Public House

Kelly/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1910

Proprietor : Henry H Bates (to 1912)

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1906

Proprietor : Henry H Bates

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1901

Proprietor : John David Williams

Wellington Public House

Kelly

1895

Prop : John David Williams (1895-1901)

Wellington Public House

Kelly/ Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1891

Proprietor : Edward Pottingter & Joseph Denner, Butcher

(March 1888 : leased to Matthew Gooden to Oct 1890)

Wellington Public House

Kelly/ Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

1879

Proprietor : W Warr

(Oct 1883-1888 : John Powell took 7 yr lease)

Butcher/Wellington Inn

Thacker/ Abergavenny  Pubs Frank Olding

1877

Proprietor : William Warr

Butcher / Wellington Inn

Owen

1875

Proprietor : William Warr

Butcher/ Wellington Inn

Mer & Croc

1871

Proprietor/owner  : William Warr (1868-1884)

Butcher / Wellington Inn

Kelly

1865

Proprietor : John Child

Duke of Wellington Inn

Webster

1862

Proprietor : William Knight

Duke of Wellington Inn

Morris & Co

1858

Proprietor : William Knight (to 1864)

Duke of Wellington Inn

Slater/ Abergavenny  Pubs Frank Olding

1850

Proprietor : Joseph Cole (“victualler, licensed to sell horses”)

Duke of Wellington Inn

Pigot/Abergavenny  Pubs
Frank Olding

1844

Proprietor : Joseph Cole (1842-1853)

Owner : F H Williams from 1839-1864

Duke of Wellington Inn

Slater/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1835

Proprietor : John  Horton to 1840

Duke of Wellington Inn

Pigot/Abergavenny Pubs
Frank Olding

1822

Proprietor : Thomas Roberts

1830 : Prop: Daniel Jones

Duke of Wellington

Pigot

1787

Landlord: John Burl Mallowney (died 1814)

1791 : Ann Malony Publican & Freeholder

The Harp

Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

William Warr (proprietor of Wellington Inn  in 1870s was the same person who was in Tudor Street in 1862

John Powell, formerly of the Blorenge Inn on the Monmouth Road, took out a 7yr lease on the premises from the then owner & innkeeper, William Cupid Warr, for an annual rent of £35 ‘except the Butcher’s Shop adjoining on the south side…. and the bedrooms over the same’ By that time, it was known simply as the Wellington Inn (source : Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding)

 

Abergavenny Chronicle dated 23 November 1889 showed this property was “let to John Powell, Late of Blorenge Inn”

Adverts in Abergavenny Chronicle :

ad in 1956 and 1961 for W A Lewis & Co, electricians

ads in 1962 and 1964 : Fosters, Wine Merchants – opening of new premises 1 August 1962

ad in 1980 : Peter Dominic, Wine Merchants – revamped store opening 10 July 1980

ads in 1981, 1988, 1989, 1991 : Peter Dominic

 

Source : coflein.gov.uk

“Probably C17 in origin, altered in the early C19 and with a late C19 and late C20 shopfront.  For a period, it was the Duke of Wellington Inn which closed in 1947 (or possibly 1923).  It is recorded as having stabling for 40 horses in 1891.  A photograph of 1934 shows the present deep fascia but the window and door shown below have been altered since.”

“This building has a rendered and painted front with a natural slate roof and red brick stack.   Double depth range paralle with the street.  Two storey, three bays.  The ground floor has a modern plate glass window to the left and a glazed door with sidelights to the centre.  These replaced the previous public house front at some time between closure in 1947 and listing in 1974, but the fascia which covers both is part of the previous frontage.    Plank carriage door to right for access to the yard behind . The windows above are unevenly spaced, two 3 over 6 pane sashees plus one 3 over 3 pane to right.  Wrought iron projecting sign bracket (not shown in photograph).   Plain steeply pitched roof with tall brick stack to left gable.  This was heightened when the adjoining house was built.  Rear elevation has later additions”.   (Source CADW listings database) S Garfi 25/10/06

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk