52 Cross Street

Main Details

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

52 Cross Street
Fiore CLOSING APRIL 2021
Alan Griffiths

“His & Hers” Hairdresser”
2007

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

2015


 

About the building

On part of site of ‘Old George Inn’. Building is circa 1800. Whole tree beams support 1st floor.

Chimneys are round and go straight up.   Whole tree beams support the first floor.  The house has cellars (source : Mr Parsons)

Dentil cornice, slate roof (source Welsh Office)

 

Recent history

2007 – 2021 Fiore   Handbags, purses, wallets  had closing down sale;  did not survive year of lockdowns, also sold Radley brand which had its own trading problems

1984 occupied by Sandra Modes Ladies Fashions with ‘His & Hers’ Hair Fashions over.

Until 1953 : Harris : Gents outfitter

From 1937 : Edison Baker, Gents outfitter (Manager : Mrs Matthew Hudson) (C.F. Matthew Hudson was a Tailor at 30 Cross Street from 1950-1955.  The name Edison is derived from “Eddie’s son”

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

See “Recent History”

 

 

1937

Edison Baker (Manager : Mrs Hudson)

Tailor (The Hudsons lived above the shop)

Kelly

1934

J & C Pullar

Dyers & Cleaners

Kelly

1930

 

 

Car/Npt & Dis

1926-1928

Abergavenny Cycle Co

 

Kelly

1923

Abergavenny  Cycle Co

 

Kelly

1920

Abergavenny Cycle Co

 

Kelly

1914

C H Beddoe

Fancy  Repository

Kelly

1910

C H Beddoe

Fancy Repository

Kelly

1906

C H Beddoe

Fancy Repository

Kelly

1901

C H Beddoe

Fancy Repository

Kelly

1895

 

 

Kelly

1891

Mrs Poole

Fancy Repository

Kelly

1884

Mrs Poole

Fancy Repository

Kelly

1879

Mrs Poole

Fancy Repository

Thacker

1877

Mrs Poole

Fancy Repository

Owen

1875

Mrs Poole

Fancy Repository

Mer & Croc

1871

Mrs Poole

Fancy  Repository

Kelly

1865

Mrs & Misses Poole

Toys, fancy goods and baby linen

Webster

1862

Edward Herbert

Grocer & tea dealer

Morris & Co

1858

Cornelius Lloyd

 

Slater

1851

Amos Williams

Watchmaker & Jeweller

Pigot

1844

Henry Williams

Perfumer & Shoemaker

Deeds

1835

Robert Harris

 

Deeds

1822

George Michael for Robert Harris

 

Deeds

1816

Anne Harris

 

Deeds

1800

Edward Harris/ John Jones (Shoemaker – moved to no.54 in 1811)

 

Deeds

before 1800

John Rees

Baker

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


 

Other Information

Source : Abergavenny Local History Survey 1980:

All this area was the “Old George Inn”, later the “Queens Head”, built before 1733 by Roger Yarnold, Plumber.  By 1800, there were many different occupants of the buildings, the Queen’s Head proprietor was Mrs Evans; the Malt House occupied by Evan Evans.

At same time, another house occupied by Miss Lewis, Milliner.   In other parts were Elizabeth Lewis, Messrs Armstrong, Valentine Trew and Charles Hanbury Saunders

Occupier in 1835 : Robert Harris – became a shopkeeper in Crickhowell (source : bill in museum).  He became bankrupt but the interest on this property paid his debts (source : Will of Richard Williams)

From 1858-1958 : dental practice. Three generations of Graham Whites practice in Abergavenny one or two days/week.  One was mayor of Newport.   From 1838-1891 : Graham White.   From 1891 – 1930 : Graham William White.  From 1923-1954 : Graham A O White

Also in this building in 1937 and 1934 : William Joseph Roche, Ophthalmic Surgeon and D H Sutton, Dental Surgeon.

Following included with original 1980 Survey : re Conveyances of 52 Cross Street :

1731 : Sold by Velfrey Cornewall & Charles & Mary Powell to John Hanbury of Pontypool

1732 : Charles, 3rd son of John Hanbury relinquished the name Hanbury and took that of Williams

1732 : Charles (now Williams), married Lady Frances Coningsby

1754 : Their daughter, Frances Hanbury Williams marries the Earl of Essex

1770 : On his marriage to Elizabeth Johnes of Abergavenny (daughter of Thomas Johnes), John Hanbury Williams (see family tree) decides to sell certain estates in Monmouthshire for the benefit of his younger brothers.   The trustees were Christopher Chambre, Thomas Johnes and Robert Morgan Kinsey.  Certain of these lands were first leased (1771 and 1778) to Richard Williams (skinner) of Abergavenny (with his brothers William Williams (sadler) and Philip Williams (farmer)

1801 : They were finally sold to Richard for £714

1810 : Richard Williams died, leaving the house in Cross Street in trust to let his tenant Edward Harris, his wife Ann and their infant son Robert, to live there until Robert is 21 and then to give him £200.  The property then to be split into three equal parts : 1) to his brother, William Williams;   2) to his sister, Lydia (now Jones, later Rowland);  3) to his sister, Rebecca (now Jones, whose husband was a farmer at Llangorse)

1816 : William Williams died leaving his third to John Trotter, his friend, who married his niece Ann;  to John Jones, his nephew and to Mary Jones, his niece and to John Wilson, cabinet maker of Abergavenny (1/10)  (see family tree) .  On her marriage, Mary sells her part to her brother and sister

1818 : John Trotter and others (the above) sell part to Mr Francis Thomas)

1842,1844,1858 : between these dates, Evan Bowen buys up the whole property in lots of 3/18ths etc

1935 : Mary and Anne Bowen, his descendants, let the ground floor to Edison Baker, Tailors, Ltd.

adverts in Abergavenny Chronicle:

1942 : property in private occupancy, ad by the resident requested wish to share a garden

1972/1981 : for 52A (upstairs)  ad for His & Hers Hairdressing Salon

1986/1988/1989 : ads for Anne Louise, Ladies Fashions

1993/1996/2000 : ads for Williams Bros, musical instruments, organs, pianos

2005 : ad for Fiore : handbags, accessories

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk