6 High Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

6 High Street
The Edinburgh Woollen Mill
clothes shop

 

Before and After Images

 

 1979/80

 2016


 

About the building

Source : Local History Survey 1980

Backs onto the old Town Wall.

The Hotel had eight bedrooms.

 

 

Recent history

At time of last Local History Survey in 1980 :  Occupied by A G Pinch & Sons Ltd, a bakery, rented from 1961.

In 1984: Occupied by ‘Jungles’ – fancy goods and clothes. Pinches then moved, with their bakery, to 16 Cross Street.

Occupied from 1937 to 1961 by Alec Sayce   (*The Syaces were still the freeholders in 1984 : Abergavenny Pubs Frank Olding)

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

 

 

 

1937

Alec Sayce (from 1937-1961)

Victoria Cafe & Hotel

Kelly/ Abergavenny Pubs  Frank Olding

1934

 

 

Kelly

1930

Prop: F Woodhead (from 1923-1931)

Victoria Temperance Hotel and Dining Rooms

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

Prop: F Woodhead

as above

Kelly

1923

Prop: F Woodhead

as above

Kelly

1920

Prop: F Woodhead

as above

Kelly

1914

Prop: Charles H Sayce

as above

Kelly

1910

Prop: Charles H Sayce

as above

Kelly

1906

Prop: Charles H Sayce

as above

Kelly

1901

Prop: Charles H Sayce

as above

Kelly

1895

 

 

Kelly

1891

Joseph Clare & Son

Watchmakers, jewellers, fishing tackle and photographic studio

Kelly

1884

Joseph Clare & Son

as above

Kelly

1879

G Wallington

Saddler

Thacker

1877

G Wallington

as above

Owen

1875

G Wallington

as above

Mer & Croc

1871

G Wallington

as above

Kelly

1865

G Wallington

as above

Webster

1858

Timothy Wallington

as above

Slater

1850

Timothy Wallington

as above

Pigot

1844

Timothy Wallington

as above

Slater

1836

Timothy Wallington

as above

Pigot

1822

Timothy Wallington

as above

Pigot & Thacker

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Other information

Edinburgh Woollen Mill founded by Drew Stevenson in 1946 as the Langholm Dyeing and Finishing Company. Following a chequered history,  the company was taken over by a management buy-in in the early 2000s,  and today is wholly owned by the Day family.  (source : ewm.co.uk)

Source : Local History Survey 1980

F Woodhead rented the building from Sayce’s.

Timothy Wallington was also at 12 Frogmore Street 1858 – 1865. Mrs Sarah Wallington 12 Frogmore Street 1865 – 1871.

In 1914: was also occupied by D F Boodle, artificial tooth maker

In 1891: was also occupied by John J Cox, clothier

Joseph Clare & Son moved to no. 6 from no. 21 in 1891.

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk