7 & 9 Monk Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

7 & 9 Monk Street
Sundarbon Kitchen

Before and After Images

 

        No 9   &   No 7    1979/80                               December 2016


 

About the building

No 9 is up against the Monk’s Gate (East Gate) of the Medieval Town Wall. Source Gwyn Jones 

 

It is attached to St Mary’s Chambers and was in common ownership. It may have been built at the same time, but the frontage has been modernised.

 

Recent history

2015: January:serious fire burnt out the building and flats above. The Sundarbon restaurant and neighbouring buildings have been shored up with scaffolding and in 2016 began repairs, obstructing the main A40 with one-way working. The Sundarbon restaurant reopened in December 2016.

1993: The Sundarbon, Bengal Cuisine Tandoor Restaurant, celebrating 1st anniversary in October.

1983: Maruf Tandoori restaurant

1979: occupier Mr Thorpe, owner Merton Jones, St Mary’s Chambers. Cartwheel Restaurant

other floors: residence

1966: Gigg, restaurant.  Source: D Berrington.1954: F j Evans and sons Travel Goods

1964: Property for sale, Freehold shop premises with private living accommodation

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

1938-1965 R Evans

Saddler

Kelly

1937

John Roberts

Saddler

Kelly

1934

”        ”

Kelly

1930

”        ”

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

”        ”

Kelly

1923

”        ”

Kelly

1920

”        ”

Kelly

1914

”        ”

Kelly

1910

”        ”

Kelly

1909

”        ”

Kelly

1906

John Roberts No 7

John Roper No 9

Saddler

Carter

Kelly

1901

”        ”

Kelly

1895

H Neville

Saddler

Kelly

1891

James Peale

Fishing Tackle maker

Kelly

1884

Kelly

1879

Thacker

1877

Owen

1875

Mer & Croc

1871

Kelly

> 1868

1865

1862

Morris & Co

1858

Slater

1850

Pigot

1845

Pigot

1844

Slater

1841

Slater

1835

Pigot

1834-45

Pigot

1834

Car/Npt & Dis

1822

Pigot

1792

Pigot



 


 

Other information

For more images and information about the saddlers click * here *

H Neville, saddler, was also the County Coroner in 1895.

It is said that there were “Saxon arches in the passage way to the back of the shop and an Elizabethan tiled floor in the back room”. There was also a tunnel under the shop leading towards Cross Street which possibly connected to the Old George cellars, but it was believed by some to lead to the Castle.

This building was badly damaged by fire in 2015 and was refurbished during 2015 and 2016.

The restaurant reopened in December 2016.

 

 

 

 

 

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk