7 Cross Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

7 Cross Street
Adela (CLOSING April 2018)

ladies fashions
Accommodation
2015

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

2015


 

About the building

Date : well before 1600.   Nos. 7 and 8 are timber-framed bulidings, floors overlap upstairs

Original windows were 19th century, but shop windows were renewed in 1986 in similar Art Nouveau style

There is a beam in the attic which has moulding on the upper (i.e. unseen, side of the beam.  ?Was it an old ship’s beam (source Mr Barnfield).

The rear part of the premises were two cottages in the early part of 20th century (source : Mr Sadler)

During renovations in 1985, the stone side walls were exposed showing, on the right, a large blocked-up windows and a wide archway leading into the passage between nos. 6 and 7, from what must have been the back of the original house.  However, the house must have been extended over this area before about 1600, as there is a beam with slots for panelling behind the front room and a further panelled wall with a Tudor arched doorway at the back of the shop.   This leads to a further room with a finely moulded oak mullioned window

In the front room, the stone corbelling can be seen for a fireplace on the first floor. The beautifully moulded ceiling beams are supported on iron replacement jetty posts inside the shop window and a further pair of iron pillar replace what must have been very substantial oak posts (as the existing beams do not quite meet each other).

In the cellar, there is a substantial Tudor-shaped arch or bridge spanning the whole room, which supports the stone paved passage running between this house and no. 8 (source : B M Pullen)

(all above sources quoted in Local History Survey of 1980)

 

Recent history

Adela@7 : from 2015 : closing April 2018 (to be combined with the other Adela shop next door)

Known as Annie’s Place – ladies’ fashions.   This closed due to retirement of the owner in April 2015, having been in the property for 25 years.

Prior to that, at the time of the 1980 Local History survey, owner/occupier was Peter Barnfield, Radio, TV and Hi-Fi Sales and Repairs.   He had been in the property since 1962

Advert in Abergavenny Chronicle in August 1962 shows “William Davis, Wine Merchants”, moving to 46 Cross Street under the name of Fosters Aug.    (Note previous Local History Survey of 1980 quotes the name of “Gilbeys” moving to 46 Cross Street (as Dominics) in 1962.   Peter Dominics were a chain of wine merchants

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

Kelly

1937

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1934

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1930

William Davies

Grocer

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1923

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1920

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1914

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1910

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1909

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1906

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1901

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1895

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1891

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1884

William Davies

Grocer

Kelly

1879

Pegler & Davis

Grocer

Thacker

1877

Pegler & Davis

Grocer

Owen

1875

Pegler & Davis

Grocer

Mer & Croc

1871

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Kelly

> 1868

John Harris Conway

Whoelsale & Retail Grocer

1865

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Webster

1862

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Morris & Co

1858

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Slater

1850

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Pigot

1845

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Pigot

1844

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Slater

1841

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Slater

1835

John Harris Conway

Wholesale & Retail Grocer

Pigot

1834-45

Pigot

1834

Car/Npt & Dis

1822

Pigot

1792

Pigot



 


 

Other information

For additional images from 7 Cross Street click * here *.

 

See previous occupiers.   Son of John Harris Conway (Wholesale & Retail Grocer until 1871), also called John Harris Conway, ran a brick, lime, coal and salt merchants from 11 Nevill Street, circa 1875

Advert for William Davis, grocer,  in Abergavenny Chronicle in 1948 quotes the “first consignment of Smedley’s Quick Frozen Foods”

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk