9 Nevill Street

Main details

 

Address:
Present Occupier:
Present Owner:
Ground Floor:
Other Floors:
Date when first used by present occupier:

9 Nevill Street
O’Brien & Partners

Accountants
Offices

Before and After Images

 

1979/80

 2016


 

About the building

This was probably the coachman’s or butler’s house for No 7. See the description of the premises under No 5,7,9.

Iron Gate to the walled garden. There is a terrace at the bottom of the garden, with an archway underneath it to”7 Coners Lane”. The garden overlooks what was once Lewis’ Iron Foundry, also to Dover’s the printers, and Price’s Yard which was once tennis courts. This was the land on which the former Catholic Church, then Dover’s the Printers, stood.

 

Recent history

1957 to 1964: Leicester Temperance Building Society (White Williams – Agents)

1979: King, Mason & Morley & Proud, Accountants, Liverpool & Victoria Insurance. Owned by Major Gerald Aubrey Hill of the Knoll.

1988 – 2006: Standby Secretarial Services, typing agency.

 


 

Previous occupiers

Year

Name

Detail

Source

1970

24.3.1952
1947 W J Jack (residence)

Sold with No 7 to James Noel Duggan and Gerald Aubrey Hill

Deeds

1937

Owner Arthur Murgatroyd Cunliffe

Solicitor

Deeds

1934

bought in 1931

referred to as “formerly the Surgery” in the deeds

Deeds

1930

Car/Npt & Dis

1926

William Dyne Steel

Surgery

Kelly

1923

”         ”        ”

Kelly

1920

”         ”        ”

Kelly

1914

”      ”      ” & Tatham

Physicians & Surgeons

Kelly

1910

”         ”        ”

”         ”

Kelly

1909

”         ”        ”

”         ”

Kelly

1906

”         ”        ”

”         ”

Kelly

1901

”         ”        ”

”         ”

Kelly

1895

Kelly

1891

Lower floor: Thomas McGrath

Upper Floor: Misses Saville & Malcolm

Tailor

 

Residence & Boarding School

Kelly

1884

”         ”        ”

”         ”        ”

Kelly

1879

Thacker

1877

Owen

1875

Mer & Croc

1871

The Misses Mary, Helen & Decima Pritchard

Ladies School

Kelly

> 1868

1865

”         ”        ”

Boarding Establishment for Young Ladies

1862

”         ”        ”

”         ”        ”

Morris & Co

1858

The Misses Mary Ellen & Ann Pritchard

”         ”        ”

Slater

1850

Pigot

1845

Pigot

1844

Slater

1841

Slater

1835

Pigot

1834-45

Pigot

1834

Car/Npt & Dis

1822

Pigot

1792

Pigot



 


 

Other information

For details of deeds for 5, 7 and 9 Nevill Street click  * here *

The Misses Mary, Helen & Decima Pritchard who ran a Ladies School in 1862-1871 had moved to 17 Nevill Street by 1875.

The garden at the back of No 5,7, & 9 Nevill Street and the yard were occupied as follows (source Deeds):

1810: formerly in the occupation of Mr John Andrews (ironmonger who occupied 17 Frogmore Street, in will of James Price) Maltster, deceased & ……Grafton , Catholic Priest and his undertenants.

1834: The Catholic Chapel is maked here in the 1834 Wood’s Map.

1884: At the back, William Davies, butcher (and a passage to this property),the lower floor by Thomas McGrath, tailor, the upper floor occupied by the Misses Saville and Malcolm with no 7.

1889: easement for no 11 to drain their WC and sink into land through the archway and the cellar of no 9 to the main sewer.

1930: mentions a garden and shed at the rear of St Michael’s Hall.

1931: John Harrison Hall, butcher

1931: George William Dover bought the garden, ground and premises, known as the Priest’s Garden, with buildings and shed at the rear of St Michael’s Hall and right of way through the archway and along the lane or path from Frogmore Street to Baker Street.

If you have any further information about this property please email alhs@live.co.uk